Put Your Chamber Membership to Work for Your Business
We’ve all heard someone say “Joining the Chamber is like buying a gym membership – you have to use it to get something out of it.” And the concept is a good one, but it’s incomplete. The truth is, “Joining the Chamber is like buying a gym membership – you have to use it STRATEGICALLY to get WHAT YOU WANT out of it.” If you buy a gym membership with the goal of sporting a six pack, and you go to the gym every day – but you only use the leg press – you’re going to fall short of your goal. You’ve used your membership, but without a strategy, you’re left feeling frustrated by the time and effort you’ve put in without achieving your desired results.
Every business has a different reason for joining the Chamber. Whether you’ve just joined the Chamber or you’ve been a member for years, it’s important to make sure you’ve established your goals for your membership, as well as a strategic plan to achieve those goals.
The following process will allow you to identify your goals and establish a plan for your membership that is conducive to achieving your desired outcome.
1. Attend a New Member Reception. Every other month, the Chamber hosts a New Member Reception for new members to learn everything there is to know about Chamber membership. If you haven’t attended a NMR, call us today for more information.
2. Define your goals. Identify what you want to achieve from your Chamber membership (e.g. connections, exposure, education).
3. Align your goals with Chamber offerings. Once you’ve established your goals, our team can help you approach your involvement specifically and strategically.
- Looking to grow your professional network? Ask us about our networking opportunities! With over 100 networking events each year, including monthly Morning Mingle and Business After Hours events, we can help you find the events that will best fit your specific interests.
- Want more promotion for your business? Check out the various marketing, advertising and sponsorship opportunities the Chamber has to offer. With affordable opportunities for all businesses, the Chamber has marketing options for everyone!
- Trying to stay up-to-date on the latest news and trends in business? Attend the Chamber’s monthly Business Development Luncheon or Women’s Network Breakfast for topics pertinent to local professionals, or attend our bi-monthly Membership Luncheon to learn about issues affecting our community, state and nation.
- Have important issues you want to be heard? Attend the Chamber’s Candidate Forums and Legislative Breakfasts to hear from your legislators and ask important questions, or bring your ideas to be heard by the Chamber’s Government Relations Council.
- Searching for professional development opportunities for yourself or your staff? Spread your reach in the Chamber by getting your entire team involved! With programs like the Women’s Network Council, Edmond Young Professionals and Small Business Owners Alliance, there’s something for everyone.
- Want to be seen as a leader in your community? Get involved in one of the Chamber’s leadership committees. Ask us how you can be a part of taking our programs and events to the next level!
4. Stay connected. Keep in the loop on Chamber and community news through the Chamber’s weekly E-news and Events emails. Contact the Chamber if you would like to be added to our email list.
Help us help you. If your goal for your gym membership was to sport a six pack, but your gym only offered leg equipment, it would be impossible for you to achieve your goal. If we are missing the mark on any of the programs and services we provide, let us know. Allow us to best serve you as a member of our Chamber by providing us with feedback that will help us continue providing 5-star programs and benefits!
Vice President - Membership Development
Edmond Area Chamber of Commerce