2013 Legislative Agenda
- Support immediate construction of a new building and equipment for the State Medical Examiner’s Office.
- Seek assistance from the Oklahoma Department of Transportation in addressing critical current and future critical infrastructure needs for the City of Edmond.
ECONOMIC GROWTH – Oklahoma must foster opportunities for attracting, retaining and expanding business.
- Support reform in the Workers Compensation Program to address the problem of the high cost to businesses and the low benefit to workers.
- Support performance based incentives including the Oklahoma large and small Quality Jobs Program.
- Support continued funding for a closing fund (Opportunity Fund) which would allow influential added incentives for companies which provide significant new employment in targeted industry sectors to make Oklahoma more competitive with surrounding states.
- Strengthen access to Career Tech programs and services for employers and high school students.
- Restore funding for Oklahoma Small Business Development Centers.
GOVERNMENT REFORM – Efficiency in state government is a key to maximizing resources.
- Oppose un-funded/underfunded/unfairly funded legislative mandates as they affect education, business and municipal operating budgets.
- Support major pension reform for public employees in Oklahoma that provides for the health and sustainability of the program by addressing unfunded liabilities while continuing to provide a quality benefit.
- Support continued efforts to remove and limit regulations which inhibit economic growth and limit local government.
TRANSPORTATION – A quality transportation infrastructure is critical to sustained economic growth.
- Support funding for the Oklahoma Department of Transportation’s eight-year plan and oppose any attempts to divert transportation funds to any other expenditures.
EDUCATION – The University of Central Oklahoma, Oklahoma Christian University, the Edmond Public Schools and the Francis Tuttle Technology Center are vital to the continued strength of the Edmond area economy.
- Encourage the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education to equitably fund UCO and other universities according to an improved funding process.
- Support “Performance Based Funding” for public and higher education.
- Ensure equitable distribution of monies required to fulfill legislated mandates.
- Support initiatives to increase the number of college graduates and industry-certified credentials in Oklahoma.
- Oppose any legislation intended to allow college students to carry weapons on college or career tech campuses.
- Support the funding of the Oklahoma Tuition Equalization Grant program for Oklahoma college students.
- Ensure that Oklahoma water laws, policies and regulations are administered at the state level and meet the needs of all of business, industries and communities.